Saturday, September 14, 2013

The rats, bats, and cats that live above me

The My house is one of the nicest in my community. I'm lucky to have concrete floors and a tin roof.
 But in between that tin roof and sturdy foundation are the animals that live with me, not by invitation. 
In between, I have burnt planks of wood that is considered a ceiling. We've fixed up the bigger holes so that human beings cant fit through them and somehow we thought that was good enough. I think most of us volunteers in ambonivolo (countryside) hear bats at night. It's not that big of a deal (sorry Marcelo). But when they live and fly and eat and socialize above you it gets to you after awhile. 
Rats are gross. They carry diseases. They can scale walls for gods sake and live above me. I'm not saying it's okay but they leave me alone, are fairly quiet and don't eat my food. I just have to sweep more frequently because of their bowel movements. 
It's the cats. Or cat. There's only one and it is the worst animal to ever live above me. It's loud, it gets into my stuff, it acts cute when it knows I'm annoyed, and it's not even my cat! But the worst part is that it doesn't do a damn thing about the rats or bats. I have sat and heard a rat playing around under my dresser and the cat sat there next to me, gazing up at me with a face that says what are you going to feed me today? 
And it comes and goes whenever he wants. And it's also frustrating that it's name is Mimi, all cats are named Mimi. Why? I don't know. 
If anyone were to ask me what is worse to have out of the three, it wouldn't be the bats, or the rats, I would say it's the cats or cat, hands down, no question about it. 
But we all live in harmony for now, the bats, rats, cat, snakes, scorpions, spiders, ants, and  anything else that can make their way in and out of my Malagasy house! 
Mimi taking a nap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment