Sunday, February 22, 2015

Trip to the North

I took a trip up to Ankarana National Park in the Northern part of Madagascar. It was one of my favorite national parks in this country and pictures don't do it any justice but I thought I'd share a few.
Further down in this post are pictures from Nosy Komba and Nosy Tanikely Marine Reserve, islands off the coast of Madagascar in the Mozambique Channel some of the most stunning tropical landscapes I've seen. Obviously, the North stole a little bit of my heart.

Difficult to see but up above there are clusters of Fruit bats. 14 species of bats,  half of the bats of Madagascar live in the underground cave of Ankarana. Two among them are the smallest and biggest bats of the world.


Some of the spiders we saw inside of the caves.

Looking at human bones inside of the Ankarana caves


















Ankarana Sportive lemur






Suspension bridge through the tsingy (limestone)

Nosy Komba- Volcanic island off the North west coast of Madagascar


Madagascar is one of the world's largest  producers of vanilla.

pepper
 Travel buddies with the Black lemurs on Nosy Komba













Female black lemur






Chameleons on Nosy Komba


Wood carvers in Nosy Komba

Honey 

View of Nosy Komba from the top of Nosy Tanikely Island Marine Reserve

Best snorkeling I've ever experienced off of this uninhabited island- Nosy Tanikely marine reserve. I wish I had taken underwater photos.

Our little hermit friend dining and dashing.



No comments:

Post a Comment