Friday, March 7, 2014

Third world

I saw a grown man watch a bubble machine for the first time in his life with a wonder and confusion that would only be seen on Americans' faces if we saw artificial life. The amazement in that. 

Every alley has dirty dogs itching themselves, kittens meowing for their mothers, chickens scrounging for scraps amongst children in garbage piles. Meat hanging on hooks, laundry hanging on lines, children hanging out of windows. 

Sometimes I forget it's a third world until I notice people wandering the muddy streets with no shoes, every article of clothing has holes and are covered in dirt. 
I forget I live in a developing country until kids are at my house on a perfectly fine Tuesday and not in school. I forget I live in a developing country until I'm told I can't walk through a forest because that's where people open defecate. 
Until I go from waiting on omby to cross the road and poverty to malls in the capital and people driving Range Rovers.
I forget until I see a man holding his baby while riding a motorcycle. Until I'm shoved into a mode of transportation that technically should only carry 18 people and I'm number 29. 
Until I'm told the only possible road to take has flooded. 
I'm reminded when I see 6-year-olds toting around their 1-year-old siblings while their mom is working in the rice field and they don't know where dad is.
When I notice that kids are used to sleeping on the floor.
I forget until I hear "vazaha" being screamed at me while passing by or being whispered about that I have money because I'm white. 
When I see corruption, people not being paid, people living from day to day on very little. When I see children waiting below large trees when the wind blows hard, hoping it will blow some fruit down. 
When I see a large pile of trash inches away from the market where we buy our food. The produce that is sold is grown locally, and whatever is in season is what is available. I forget until I see the injustices around me. The inequality. The sicknesses. 
I forget that I'm currently living in a developing country sometimes. I forget sometimes until all that is around me, reminds me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment