Monday, March 24, 2014

We've got malaria

Madagascar isn't really known for having many cases in HIV/AIDS but we do have all four types of plasmodial species of malaria infecting all humans all over the country.
It is highly unusual in other countries affected by malaria to find all four species in the same region but in Madagascar it is quite common. 

We have it for sure. I've seen it first hand. I've given the rapid diagnostic test in my own home ending in positive (or what I like to call actual negative results). I'll be sitting with the doctor during consultations and people don't even know they have it and whelp, we've got ourselves another positive test result. 
Positive

However, some things are a little misinterpreted about malaria here. 
Through surveys, home visits and discussions with doctors many Malagasy people have some misconceptions regarding malaria and how they become infected. 
Some Malagasy people believe they get malaria by eating fruit. This is not such an outrageous claim. During and shortly after the rainy season many people have malaria. With rain comes much growth and fruit production. With rain and puddles near homes, comes mosquitos. And so, fruit brings malaria. When really, it's those f'ing mosquitos.
Some Malagasy believe that if you sleep under a bed net each night, you will never get malaria. People in my village are shocked when they see me scratching a bite because they know I sleep under a net. But they don't know which mosquito brings about the parasite. Which is the Anopheles (in Greek means "good-for-nothing"or "useless" -ha), for those of you who don't know. They are the larger female Mosquitos that hang around in the upper walls of households. Are quite active during dusk and dawn and in fact do NOT make the annoying buzzing sound that we often familiarize mosquitoes with. So just because I have an itch, does not mean I have been bitten by the beast that brings malaria. Although, I hate all mosquitos whether it brings malaria or an itch alone. 
Uhhh, here's a photo, kind of interesting...although way over my head.

So, I (and other volunteers) go around and educate others (as I hope to be doing now) about malaria, the disease that is preventable and 100% curable. We tell people what brings malaria, the symptoms, the tests, the medicine, the preventable actions they can take, such as going indoors at dusk, sleeping under mosquito nets and planting tomatoes near doors and windows (mosquitos don't like tomatoes). 

But at times, I think Malagasy are fully aware of the symptoms and when they know they have it they go to the doctor for medicine. They don't necessarily go the "preventative route" as much as the "cure it route". So, we're working on that here.
Over 200 people tested positive in my village alone in January. It's hard to keep records of but 15 people in my district died in the same month. That's not a number I like to hear, especially when malaria is completely curable. 
We've had such poor reports of malaria that a doctor from the capital has come to talk with the communities. 
As Peace Corps' Volunteers we are given malaria prophylaxis that we take everyday during our service. Although Volunteers too get malaria from time to time. 
So in April, the PCVs in my region are hosting a huge parade an event focusing on malaria! Photos to come! 
Malaria day is April 25 for all of you that don't know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment