Sunday, June 29, 2014

Latrine project: Transportation complications

This blog post is specifically about the transportation of all the material for my community's construction project. 
So after all the purchasing, we have to somehow get nearly 1,000 4 meter wood planks, over 100 kilo of nails, bamboo, tin roofing, and barrels into the countryside. I already knew that hauling that stuff by swinging it over their shoulders would be insanity, even though they insisted. 
So, we rent large camions (trucks) and apparently you have to know somebody who knows somebody in order to rent one of those ancient rusty insanely loud automobiles. 
But luckily, I knew somebody.
How many camions does it take to deliver goods on terrible roads into the countryside?
In my case, 6.
And then the Malagasy military got involved.
But luckily, I knew them too. So, after discussing what kind of 'goods' I was delivering, they actually got me one camion for free! Which was awfully nice of them because they were running our funding dry. 
How does a community react when my many cars driver through? 
Lots of people show up to help move their drying rice aside for the vehicle.
What does a drive on a terrible road look like? 
Well I can't post videos (I guess) and I'm not willing to describe it but let's just say it was terrible and... It rained the day before, creating large puddles and much more mud than needed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment