Sunday, June 15, 2014

Which way should a door swing?

As some of you know, I've been working on a sanitation project in my village. And as of late, am realizing it's a big project. 

All of the funding has arrived (thanks again donaters!) and we have found the time to begin! 
We started purchasing some of the materials needed for the 25 latrines a few days ago, and that in itself was complicated. 
I took two health workers with me to the near by city of Manakara to purchase the smaller items, like 25 handles, locks, 75 hinges, 100 kilos of nails, stuff like that. I thought it'd be easy sorting the particulars out because the health workers understood what was needed and spoke fluently the language being spoken. No. We (they) spent 30 minutes arguing which way a door swings open. Now, don't get me wrong, this I overlooked and is very important, and for someone who thought 6+6+6+8=25 (me) it was good to have along people who were interested in the particulars. Hinges, check. Locks were fairly easy, inside the latrine not outside, this was a public latrine, why lock people out/in? We want to lock it from the inside enhancing privacy (something the Malagasy people lack). Locks, check. 
Nails. I was told from the technicians that we needed roughly 4 kilos of nails for each latrine. I brought a calculator out on this one and then knew for sure we needed 104 kilos of nails. The technicians also said that we needed 10cm sized nails. Have you seen a 10cm sized nail? It's 10 centimeters! They're huge. And I was convinced when the storeman said that it would split the wood. So I made a executive decision to buy 8cm sized nails, hopefully that's alright and the latrine won't fall apart do to those 2cm. 
Nails, check. 
Now that all of the small items were purchased it was time to go on a hunt for  barrels. The barrels are to elevate the latrine off the ground for the villages that live near the water (for flooding purposes). So, every barrel we saw we walked up to, felt if it was empty and then tried bargaining it down to a decent price, only to tell them we'd be back at a later date. And for some reason, finding empty barrels for a low price in a city is pretty difficult. Hot commodity those old used barrels. 

With a large budget and huge project ahead of me it feels good to finally start spending and collecting for the final project! 

No pictures yet, because who wants to see boxes full of nails? 
No one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment